This past Wednesday’s episode of AEW Dynamite saw the recently crowned AEW World Champion MJF attack William Regal with brass knuckles, just over a week after the former Blackpool Combat Club manager betrayed Jon Moxley by helping MJF claim the title from him. The moment sparked further speculation over Regal’s future, as numerous reports have revealed that WWE are interested in bringing him back to the fold, with PWInsider recently claiming that the move now appears likely.
Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter has now provided an update on Regal’s contract status with AEW amidst rumours of a return to his former employer, highlighting that despite claims of him initially signing a three year contract with the company, sources involved in the deal believe the deal to be “short-term”, with an out clause also thought to be included.
“It was said when Regal signed that he had a three-year deal. There have been a number of different stories but the one said by someone involved in the deal is that it was actually a “short-term” deal that is about to expire and he is expected to be returning to WWE. Multiple WWE sources said Regal had an out clause in his contract.”-WON
Regal previously served as WWE’s Director of Talent Development and Head of Global Recruiting from 2018 until his release earlier this year. As of writing, it is unknown as to whether Regal would work in an on-screen capacity should he return to WWE, however PWInsider have noted that he’d be coming in to a backstage role.
As always, we’ll aim to provide any updates on the Regal’s future as soon as we hear more. It certainly seemed as though the 54 year-old was written off of AEW television this Wednesday, and thus the timing of these reports is likely to be no coincidence.